Our Foster Program
Many people want to share some love and kindness with an animal. Being a foster caregiver can not only help the animal, but can add to your life as well. Some animals just need TLC and a place that is quieter than at the shelter, but in some serious cases we need very experienced foster families who have been in our program for a long time. At Humane Society Hastings Prince Edward we provide care to all animals, but there are times when one-on-one is more beneficial. Fostering is also important because it helps the shelter by creating space and allowing us to serve even more animals in need.
What do you need to become a foster caregiver?
- You must be 18 years of age.
- All of your own pets must be spayed or neutered and up to date with all vaccinations (proof required)
- An extra room to keep the foster animals separate from your own.
- Transportation is needed for pick up and drop off at the shelter.
- Lots of time, love and patience.
All supplies are supplied by HSHPE including food, litter, toys etc. Any items you choose to purchase must be pre-approved by the Shelter Management in advance. Receipts must be submitted for approved reimbursements.
How long will they be with you?
It varies, depending on the circumstances, but is usually 2 to 6 weeks.
Which animals will need your help?
- Mother cats & dogs with nursing babies
- Kitten and pups too young for adoption
- Animals recovering from surgery
- Animals recovering from injuries and often times on medication
- Animals that could benefit from socialization
I find it so fulfilling. You take in an animal who has come from horrible situations . . . and just through your time and your love, you see them regain trust and start to be able to give that love back.